Saturday, January 13, 2007

Lampe Berger - This Thing REALLY Sucks Odors out of the Air...

I am the proud owner of a new Lampe Berger! If you've never heard of these, let me tell you all about it.

Lampe Berger looks sort of like a fancy perfume bottle - in fact there are hundreds of lamps to choose from. (From around $40 all the way up to $1000s for collector's editions!) The lamps were first invented in Paris in the 1800's as a way to effectively purify air in French hospitals. The catalytic burner works to suck odor and bacteria out of the air.

I know, I know...it sounds too good to be true, right? But, it actually works. I use Neutral (unscented) Lampe Berger oil (which is actually alcohol-based). All it does is remove the odors and leave the air smelling fresh and clean, with no other scent added to the air at all. You can also choose from dozens of beautiful scents, as varied as Lavender Fields oil to Creme Brulee (it smells as good as it sounds!) or Heavenly Spruce.

All you do is light the catalytic burner, and allow the flame to burn for 2 minutes. The burner (wick) will go from a deep charcoal gray color to a lighter ashy-gray. That's when you know it's ready to blow out the flame. Put on the slotted lid, and let the Lampe Berger do it's work. I suggest setting a timer for anywhere from 15-40 minutes, depending on the type of odor you want to remove.

I've been using mine in the cat litter box area (ugh) and it's amazing. Even my husband has to agree that the Lampe Berger (pronounced, I believe: Lamp Bur-zhay) is better by far than any other type of air freshener we've ever used.

If any of you have one of these fabulous little air purifiers, please let me know how you like yours!

P.S. The reason why I highly suggest setting the timer is this - if you forget to put the solid lid back ON the Lampe Berger, then your alcohol-based oil will evaporate into the air. :) I've had people tell me that it removes even really stubborn odors like paint smells and tar smells, so it's a pretty powerful little lamp, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This product sounds useful. Better than using smelly Lysol, I'm sure. And probably more pleasant-smelling than my current method of setting out a small bowl of vinegar around smelly areas. :)