Thursday, April 06, 2006

Vinegar Uses - Household and Cleaning

As promised, here are more vinegar household and cleaning tips, as sent in by Roberta. :) I knew I loved vinegar, but even I didn't know all of these uses for the marvelous stuff. And yes, this is generally talking about plain old white vinegar. One reader once suggested using pickling vinegar instead, to do the really tough cleaning jobs, as it's even stronger than regular white vinegar. :) I just generally use white vinegar, however.

Now, here are those tips!

  • Remove perspiration stains from clothes by applying one part vinegar to four parts water, then rinse.
  • Deodorant and anti-perspirants stains may be removed from clothing by lightly rubbing with distilled vinegar and laundering as usual.
  • Cotton and wool blankets become soft, fluffy and free of soap odor if 2 cups of distilled vinegar are added to the rinse cycle of the wash.
  • Clothes will rinse better if a cup of vinegar is added to the last rinse water. The acid in vinegar is too mild to harm fabrics but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies in soaps and detergents.
  • When dyeing fabric, add a cup full of distilled vinegar to the last rinse to set the color.
  • Nylon hose will look better and last longer if 1 tablespoon of vinegar is added to the rinse water when washing.
  • To obtain a sharper crease in your knit fabrics, dampen them with a cloth wrung out from a solution of 1/3 distilled vinegar and 2/3 water.

2 comments:

Mike K said...

Hmmm... this post makes me happy. I can keep my super old T-shirts with the deodorant stains. Hurray! Awww... man I just gave away too much information.

Anonymous said...

I found another use for vinegar. It gets rid of wrinkles in clothes better than the wrinkle relaxers. Mix 1 part vinegar with 3 parts water in a spray bottle and just spray it on the clothes you want to de-wrinkle. I couldn't believe my eyes when the wrinkes came out of my husbands unform top, right before my eyes. WOW!