Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mucky, Messy & a Great Little Cleaner - Foaming Baking Soda

So, I have family coming today from Nova Scotia, and that means I'm trying to get my place looking its best. :) One addition to my To Do Cleaning List was: clean the kitchen cabinets. The exteriors that always manage to get gunky and grungy looking after time, right?

The best thing I've found yet for making this miserable job a bit more do-able is this: FOAMING Baking Soda! Sounds like some posh commercial cleaner, doesn't it? Of course, we know better.

All I do is:

  • Take a small, preferably adorable bowl from the cupboard
  • Dump in some baking soda, a Happy Slob's dearest cleaning friend! I'd say about 1/4 to 1/2 cup will do very nicely.
  • Grab your handy bottle of Very Vinegar cleaner (remember: it's just one part white vinegar to about 3 to 5 parts tap water, depending on how strong a mix you want) and pour some in!
  • The goal here is to create a foamy messy mucky paste. :) It's fun to dig your fingers around and get all the baking soda mixed up thoroughly with the Very Vinegar cleaner. Just make sure to use a big enough bowl so it doesn't end up all over the floor! (Although it would clean the floors nicely too...)
  • Use a scrubby sponge to dip in the mucky Foaming Baking Soda mixture and scrub away! The combination of the vinegar and baking soda together is a powerful cleaning team. I even used it to scrub away a few old stains on the wall that I thought were permanent residents. :)
  • Rinse away with more Very Vinegar spray or just plain water to get rid of the gritty residue.
  • Voila - gorgeous new kitchen cabinets for about a quarter! Now, that's what I call frugality!

1 comment:

MEME16 said...

Now the problem with this is that it sounds like to much fun...which means I will playing tomorrow rather than cleaning..
huggles me who buys the baking soda in the cat lane as is cheaper than in the cooking lane- and because the box is also a different color I don't get them muddled-