Sunday, March 19, 2006

Dishwasher Detergent Alternative

Apparently, there is one useful product you might already have in your laundry cupbard that works GREAT as a dishwasher detergent replacement.

BORAX! Take between 2-4 teaspoons of Borax (more for harder water areas) and dissolve in about 1/4 cup of plain tap water. Fill your dishwasher cups as normal and run as normal too. :) Easy!

:) I'm going to try this tonight and report back to all of you. Tomorrow I'm going to try mixing the Borax with baking soda to see if that works even better! If you try it, please post here...I'm curious to see how it works.

~Christina~
P.S. I have tons of cleaning recipes on my site at Cleaning Recipes I AND at Cleaning recipes II

P.P.S. Fill the rinse agent compartment with undiluted white vinegar. :) Works great!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never use baking soda on dishes, particularly glasses. Baking soda is abrasive (which is why it used as tooth cleaner and counter top scrubber) and will etch your glasses over time.

I have not tried the borax and baking soda, but have a friend who has. After about a month, all of her plates and glasses had a 'dusty' film on them.

Vinegar in the rinse aid cup works great and is a lot cheaper than JetDri and others!

Anonymous said...

the whirlpool co. says it is not a good idea to use vinegar on a regular basis because it is an acid and can cause damage.

Anonymous said...

surely the vinegar should be diluted? the expensive Rinse Aid I bought is 15% Citric Acid, so it must be okay to use something acidic, but maybe not neat?

Anonymous said...

Vinegar is Acetic acid, but it's only something like 0.05%. Not very acidic.